A place for people who fear getting bed bugs. People with flashlights by their beds. People who have strained necks from trying to climb between their encased mattress and boxspring inspecting for bed bugs. People who have their children walk in traffic to avoid a discarded mattress on the street. The fear is real. You can feel normal here.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Millipedes In My Bed

The other night, in the wee hours, I felt something crawling on my hand. Without opening my eyes, I used my other hand to crush it. All I could think was no, no, no, no. I opened my eyes a crack to see hundreds of little legs twitching and a big squished body. With one big sigh of relief I closed my eyes again, thinking in a sleepy haze, only a millipede. A moment later, I woke with a start, WHEN did it become okay for millipedes to crawl over my sleeping body? I started to think about my two previous nemesis: Ticks. Ticks suck your blood, but these kindly little guys finish their meal and drop off your body never to return again. They know their limits. Most important they live outside. Lice. Again, blood suckers and these bastards take advantage - reproducing in your hair. Gross. But you just have to keep your hair dirty, spritz it with rosemary if you plan on sharing hats with people you barely know. Lice make themselves easier to banish from your home because they can't live long without a meal. Onto Bed Bugs. They suck your blood night after night, reproducing by the 100s in your bed, clothing, side boards, and outlets. Living for a year with no food. Paving the way for other bug acceptance.

1 comment:

  1. I recently searched for "Bugs that Eat Bed Bugs" as if I was going to find these bugs and pour them all over my bed. Anyway, it turns out that all of the bugs that eat bed bugs are potentially much grosser than bed bugs. And one of those bugs is the millipede! So maybe it's not so bad to find him there?

    ReplyDelete