A place for people who fear getting bed bugs. People with flashlights by their beds. People who have strained necks from trying to climb between their encased mattress and boxspring inspecting for bed bugs. People who have their children walk in traffic to avoid a discarded mattress on the street. The fear is real. You can feel normal here.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Raw Chicken or Your Laundry Area - Which is Scarier?

There is wide agreement that putting any suspect item in the dryer is a good insurance policy against bed bugs as it will kill both bugs and eggs. For weeks, I have been peeling off my "subway" clothes, my "I sat on a park bench clothes", my "I walked past a discarded box spring clothes" and putting them straight into the laundry. By my own self imposed rules I should be putting them right into the dryer, but they are dirty so they need to be washed. I can't put them right into the washer because, news flash to certain unnamed segments of the population, not all items can be washed at the same temperature and mixed with every color. So things sit in the laundry basket a few days. Is it possible that bed bugs eggs are hatching in my laundry basket right now? Is the wayward bug that crawled into the cuff of my pants at the dry cleaner crawling back out and making its way to my bed? These are the questions that prompted the elevation of my laundry area to red alert status.

Red alert status was previously reserved for raw chicken. Everything that touches the raw chicken is considered germy, cutting boards, sponges, the knobs on the sink ect. I wish I had a laundry room but alas this is New York City. I am just thankful that I have laundry at home! So here are some of my rules: clean clothes never go in a basket that had dirty clothing. Laundry does not sit for more than one day. I steam clean my washing machine, around the machine and my dirty clothes basket every few days. After carefully inspecting the dryer's lint trap, I now throw the lint away in a trash that gets emptied daily...because how do I know if my dryer is hot enough? Every so often I begin to wonder whether bed bugs are a right wing conspiracy to keep women at home cleaning, steaming, and doing laundry.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! When I consider what my own personal hell would look like, the image usually involves unwashed and unfolded piles of laundry. Every evening, when my work is "done," I sit down to read a magazine, or enjoy a glass of wine, and then remember that the washing machine is full. I curse. I can't imagine having to devote any more time to laundry than I do now. I feel for you, my friend!
    My current bug obsession is head lice, thanks to repeated notices from the school nurse about the prevalence of head lice at Norton. Yay!

    ReplyDelete